3 Reasons Gel Nails Are Better Than Acrylic Nails in 2018
What are Gel Nails?
Last updated 1st of Feb 2018
Gel nails are the new kids on the block. Coming straight from the European market to American nail salons, they have taken the market by storm. They come in a gel form similar to the consistency of hair styling gel. Gel Nails DO NOT come in a powder form and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Despite their popularity, many people are still confused about what exactly gel nails are and what they offer. In this article we will cover everything there is to know about gel nails and why they are the future of nail polishes and manicure.
There are many reason why Gel Nail Polish is superior to the old outdated Acrylic Nails which we will list in the following paragraph for those who are too lazy to read :P:
More natural looking
Much thinner than chunky Acrylic Nails
Have a beautiful gloss to them
Can be easily filed into various shapes – round, square or pearl shape
They need to be filled only every two or three weeks.
How long they last depends on the skill of the nail technician and the quality of gel nail polish being applied
Are now stronger than acrylic nails
Much safer than Acrylic Nails
Are odorless so no more horrible smelly toxic fumes
Non – Toxic so pregnant women can wear them
Protects the nails from the harsh environment
The Major Cons of Gel Nail Polish
Gel Nails have a lot of pros that make them a better alternative than Acrylic Nails as you can clearly see but you haven’t seen the full picture yet. Gel Nails suffer from some pretty serious draw backs, including a health hazard of its own, that has allowed the acrylic nails to survive against it.
The reason Gel Nails cost more than acrylic Nails is the reason that makes them last longer
This can be big turn-off for most people
Low Quality Gel Nails Discolor
Low quality gel nails often discolor when nearing the end of their lifespan, so make sure to only get the best.
Usually it is advised that you visit your local salon to get your gel nail polish done as it is very tricky doing them yourself but it is possible to them at home. If you choose to them on your own you must make sure to do this properly. If the gel nail is not applied properly and any sort of lifting or damage to the nail occurs, the possibility of infection is very real and should be avoided at all costs. Before starting though you must buy a gel nail kit.
What You Will Need (Click on any of the boxes to receive a 30% discount)
Here are some of the most popular Gel Nail Kits that have received the best reviews on Amazon.
The Gel Nail Kit on the left received a rating of 4.4/5 stars out of 185 reviews.
The Gel Nail Kit in the right received 26 reviews and has a rating of 4.3/5 stars.
When applying your Gel Nails Polish you will need a UV dryer. The one depicted has 4.2/5 stars and has nearly 500 reviews.
As covered above UV rays are known to cause cancer and needing to use a UV dryer is not ideal. In order to lower your exposure to UV rays and the risk of cancer you should try to cover your hands with a finger less glove. This is not ideal though because your fingers are still exposed to the harmful UV rays. The Royal Nails Anti UV Gloves are perfect for the job. It has received over 350 reviews with an average rating of 4.7/5 stars.
9 Easy Steps Applying Gel Nails:
1. First you must shape your nails. A nail file should be used to file your nails to shape. Make sure that the shape, whether you choose to go rounded or square, is uniform along the whole nail.
2. Remove the natural shine on your nails by buffing the top. This is cannot be skipped as it essential for the primer to stick properly.
3. Third you must push your cuticles back. With a cotton swab apply a small amount of cuticle oil before pushing back each cuticle gently back with a cuticle pusher. Make sure to wash and dry your hands thoroughly as your hand needs to be clean and dry before applying the primer.
4. At this stage you apply the primer. Make sure to use long even strokes when applying the primer from cuticle to the top of the nail. Only apply a thin layer and make sure to cover the entire nail.
5. Before moving on make sure that the primer is completely dry. Apply an even coat of UV gel nail on each nail. Mae sure to avoid getting any on any cuticles, if you do, simply wipe it off. Place your hands under the UV dryer for 1 – 3 minutes or until dry.
6. Apply a second coat of UV gel nail. Repeat above process but the second coat will take longer to dry than the first so keep hands under the UV dryer for 2 – 4 min.
7. Apply another last coat of UV gel nail. Make sure to apply evenly otherwise the nails will look uneven. Place hands under UV dryer for a final drying time of 5 minutes. The general rule is the more the gel nail you apply the longer the drying time.
8. Examine your nails for any imperfections and use a buffer to get rid of these and finish the shaping.
9. After the nails are completely dry clean your hands to get rid of any gel nail powder before applying any polish.
Maintain your Gel Manicure
In order to properly maintain your new gel nails you should go visit the salon every 2 – 3 weeks. The technician will reapply the gel where your nail has grown close to the cuticle.