Last updated on 1st of February 2018
This guide will help you on how to remove gel nails. Before we get started it is always advisable that you should go to a nail salon with professional nail technicians to take care of removing gel nail polish or any other nail related issues before going the DIY route. In saying this it is possible to do this at home on your own. When it comes to nails one must exercise extreme caution as any damage to your nails could lead to infection and various other complications. Remember that nails are a vital part of your body and are there for a reason. Before removing any of your artificial nails you must first determine what kind of artificial nail it is. There are two types of gel nails, soak-off gel nails and regular gel nails. This guide will show you how to remove gel nail polish at home.
2. Remove any nail polish with acetate nail polish remover.
3. Soak you nails in a small bowl of acetate nail polish remover for about 5-10 minutes.
4. Once a bad smell starts forming and the gel looks soft and gelatin start to gently remove it. If there is still a lot of resistance dip your nails back in the bowl for another 5 – 10 minutes. There will a bit of resistance as the acetate in the gel nail polish remover will be very weak.
5. Work from the outside in. Only use gentle force to remove the gel nail, if it comes of it pieces this is fine. Make sure not to damage your real nail.
6. Use nail polish remover to get rid of any sticky residue left from the gel nail polish on your nail and then buff the nails for added perfection.
How to remove Regular Gel Nail Polish
1. Cut back any nail extensions to reduce the time required for gel nail removal.
2. File away at the nail making sure to remove around a lot to avoid filing your real nail. Wipe the dust away often as to see how much gel nail polish is left. Make sure to go around evenly and avoid focusing on one spot.
3. Use a finer-grit file to remove what’s left of the gel nail polish once your close to your natural nail.
4. Smooth your nail and get rid of any scratches or imperfections with a buffer.